When a 16 year old girl in Ohio was filmed being raped by two boys at a party
CNN reporters talked about how tragic it was
because the rapists could have been star athletes
Because God forbid we lose a future football star
over something as silly as forcing oneself onto an unconscious girl
You say that victims of sexual assault were asking for it
But was that 8 year old girl asking for it
When you told her you would give her a ride home?
Did her overalls provoke you?
Isn’t it awful we live in a world where 1 in 5 women
Have been sexually assaulted
But only 3% of rapists spend even a day in jail.
That is rape culture.
You say that a woman is “cold”
Because she didn’t like him kissing her neck,
but when he refused to stop
it’s considered his “natural behavior”.
That is rape culture.
You say that men who are victims of rape are “weak”
But tell that to former U.S. Marine
Who was raped at the age of 19.
That is rape culture.
Thinking that sexual assault
Against women is “the norm”,
That is rape culture
Rape culture is a Lawmaker from Maine
Saying that if a woman has the right to abortion
Then a man should have the right
To use his superior strength
To force himself on a woman
It is the boys in my class laughing at this poem
And the word “rape”
Being their favorite joke.
Rape culture is believing that a woman can’t become pregnant
As a result of rape
When actually 32,000 women in the U.S.
Become pregnant from rape every year.
So maybe we should stop saying
“Boys will be boys”
and “She was asking for it”
And start teaching men and women
To not rape.
1. push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 7am, then 6am, then 5:30am. go to the nearest hill with a big coat and a scarf and watch the sun rise.
2. push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.
3. erase processed food from your diet. start with no lollies, chips, biscuits, then erase pasta, rice, cereal, then bread. use the rule that if a child couldn’t identify what was in it, you don’t eat it.
4. get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic, fry an egg, slice up a fresh avocado and squirt way too much lemon on it. sit and eat it and do nothing else.
5. stretch. start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. roll your head. stretch your fingers. stretch everything.
6. buy a 1L water bottle. start with pushing yourself to drink the whole thing in a day, then try drinking it twice.
7. buy a beautiful diary and a beautiful black pen. write down everything you do, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. no detail is too small.
8. strip your bed of your sheets and empty your underwear draw into the washing machine. put a massive scoop of scented fabric softener in there and wash. make your bed in full.
9. organise your room. fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, your laptop, vacuum the floor. light a beautiful candle.
10. have a luxurious shower with your favourite music playing. wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. lather your whole body in moisturiser, get familiar with the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck.
11. push yourself to go for a walk. take your headphones, go to the beach and walk. smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smile back. bring your dog and observe the dog’s behaviour. realise you can learn from your dog.
12. message old friends with personal jokes. reminisce. suggest a catch up soon, even if you don’t follow through. push yourself to follow through.
14. think long and hard about what interests you. crime? sex? boarding school? long-forgotten romance etiquette? find a book about it and read it. there is a book about literally everything.
15. become the person you would ideally fall in love with. let cars merge into your lane when driving. pay double for parking tickets and leave a second one in the machine. stick your tongue out at babies. compliment people on their cute clothes. challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day. then two. then a week. walk with a straight posture. look people in the eye. ask people about their story. talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
16. lie in the sunshine. daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a thing. open your eyes. take small steps to make it happen for you.